454 HO - Musclecar power at a low-buck price!
Now, this is the stuff that legends are made of. Big-block, street-sweeping power just like the ‘60s GM musclecars that you grew up with or have worshipped for years. Now, GM Performance Parts has a 454 cubic inch Chevy crate engine that is big on power and low on dollar. Let’s take a look ...
We started with a brand new (not remanufactured or sourced from a scrap yard) Gen VI four-bolt big-block. The 454 HO is stuffed with a forged steel crank, forged connecting rods, and forged pistons. A roller camshaft with .510/.540" lift generates a nasty idle. Cast iron cylinder heads deliver a pump-gas friendly 8.75:1 compression ratio. Horsepower comes in at 425 with 500 lb.-ft. of big-block torque.
The 454 HO is delivered to you complete with water pump, balancer, intake manifold, and 14" automatic transmission flexplate. Add your carburetor, ignition, and starter to complete the engine. Check out the GMPP line of valve covers and chrome accessories to give the engine a more eye appealing, under hood look.
- Turn that project car into a big-block legend
- The perfect replacement for a big-block car that needs a new mill
- Your first big-block
*Applications have not been validated. They are merely suggestions of how you might enjoy your GM Performance Parts crate engine. Some applications may affect engine warranty. See specific warranty information. Some applications may not be emission legal; check state and local ordinances.
|454 HO TECH SPECS:
|Part Number: ||12568774|
|Engine type: ||Chevy big-block V-8|
|Displacement (cu in): ||454|
|Bore x stroke (in): ||4.25 x 4.00|
|Block (P/N 12561353): ||Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps|
|Crankshaft (P/N 14096983): ||Forged steel|
|Connecting rods (P/N 10198922): ||Forged steel|
|Pistons (P/N 10215228): ||Forged aluminum|
|Camshaft type (P/N 24502611): ||Hydraulic roller|
|Camshaft lift (in): ||.510 intake / .540 exhaust|
|Camshaft duration (@.050 in): ||211'c1 intake / 230'c1 exhaust|
|Cylinder heads (P/N 12562920): ||Iron rectangular port; 118 cc chambers|
|Valve size (in): ||2.19 intake / 1.88 exhaust|
|Compression ratio: ||8.75:1|
|Rocker arms (P/N 12523976): ||Stamped steel|
|Rocker arm ratio: ||1.7:1|
|Water pump (P/N 12484890): ||Cast iron, long-style|
|Flexplate (P/N 10185034): ||14"|
|Recommended fuel: ||92 octane|
|Ignition timing: ||4'c1 BTDC|
|Maximum rpm: ||5500||
- NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long blocks and partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur. GMPP HEI distributor P/N 93440806 is recommended.
- Requires addition of carburetor, starter, fuel pump, distributor and ignition system (not included).
- Clutch linkage boss is cast into block, but must be drilled and tapped. When using cast iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads for clearance.
- Comes with a 14" automatic transmission flexplate; use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11" clutch assembly for manual transmission.
- Intended for pre-1977 street vehicles or all off-road vehicles.
- Not intended for marine applications.